Career Opportunity - Chief Micro-Finance Specialist
The Sudanese Microfinance Development Facility (SMDF) is a microfinance development
initiative, launched in 2008 by the Central Bank of Sudan and the Multi Donor Trust Fund that
became a private limited liability company in August 2009. The SMDF is designed to support the
establishment of new and existing microfinance institutions and providers through dissemination
of best practices, technical assistance and training, financing and managing donor resources. It
will support creation of new MFIs as well as downscaling banks and other providers to serve the
In its efforts to expand its outreach and function as a viable Apex institution, SMDF is seeking
a qualified Sudanese national to undertake the post of Chief Micro-Finance Specialist to work
at its main office in Khartoum. The Chief Micro-Finance Specialist will work in close liaison with
the SMDF projects and the Micro-Finance Unit of the Central Bank of Sudan (CBOS) to ensure
efficient and effective project implementation in accordance with SMDF, CBOS and World Bank
The Chief Micro-Finance Specialist will also help in ensuring the sustainability of SMDF’s
operations by seeking new sources of funding and establishing strong relationships with key
players and partners in the Micro finance sector. The Chief Micro-Finance Specialist will also
regularly monitor the sector in order to identify new opportunities for SMDF’s engagement. S/he
will identify, build and manage relationships with organizations with which SMDF can work to fulfill
its strategies and plans.The incumbent will report to the SMDF Managing Director.
More specifically the incumbent will undertake the following activities:
Observe and implement all policies approved by the Board of Directors with regards
to funding criteria;
Lead the technical advisory committee that reviews proposals;
Establish contacts with new and existing MFIs and banks with a microcredit business line;
Carry out due diligence studies and analysis of feasibility studies presented by MFIs
asking for financial support of the facility;
Institutionalize the MFIs applications, assessment and disbursement forms and all
Prepare complete files and proposals for funding (loan, grants, equity) for presentation to the
Prepare all documents for disbursement and process them until final signature of
Monitor the performance, development and portfolio quality of the participating
MFIs, including the preparation of portfolio reports for the monthly as well as for the
Coordinate the demand for technical assistance and capacity building with the Training
Develop a base line and impact measurement tool for the SMDF activities;
Manage and monitor the performance of the SMDF and Projects Loan Tracking Systems
Build and maintain high level contacts with donors and funding agencies.
A relevant advanced university degree (Economics, Business Administration, Finance,
International Relations or any related social sciences field.)
At least 7 years professional work experience in Micro-Finance at national or international
Demonstrated track record and experience in project management preferably with
Strong substantive knowledge of MF monitoring tools such as Loan Tracking Systems;
Fluency in Arabic and English is essential.
Excellent ability to write and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism.
Excellent presentation skills.
Very good organizational skills and ability to adhere to deadlines.
Outstanding computing skills, including full fluency in the Microsoft Suite of Programs.
Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
Application should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no latter that 12.00 pm 7th
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Career Opportunity - Managing Director
The Sudanese Microfinance Development Facility (SMDF) is a microfinance development initiative,
launched in 2008 by the Central Bank of Sudan and the Multi Donor Trust Fund that became a private
limited liability company in August 2009. The SMDF is designed to support the establishment
of new and existing microfinance institutions and providers through dissemination of best practices,
technical assistance and training, financing and managing donor resources. It will support creation
of new MFIs as well as downscaling banks and other providers to serve the sector.
The Sudanese Microfinance Development Facility Co. Ltd. (SMDF) is an apex organization providing
financing and technical assistance to support the development of a strong and sustainable microfinance
sector in the Sudan, thus ensuring widespread access to high quality financial services
to economically active low-income people..
To ensure a seamless handover, SMDF is seeking a highly qualified Sudanese national who, following
a transition period, will assume the role of Managing Director of the SMDF Co. Ltd.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Managing Director will report to the Board of Directors and undertake the following key duties
• Management of the SMDF in compliance with the company’s Charter and policies as approved
by the Board of Directors
• Be responsible for the overall administration and oversee the day-to-day operations of
SMDF in line with international standards for best practices, transparency and governance.
• In cooperation with the Central Bank of Sudan (CBOS) and its Microfinance Unit (MFU),
define the strategic direction of the company with the objective of making the SMDF a
leading organization within the microfinance sector.
• Liaise with key stakeholders and actors in the Microfinance Sector,
• Liaise with the Central Bank of Sudan and other government institutions
• Identify business targets and the preparation of the underlying business plans and budgets
presented to the Board for agreement
• Monitor the progress of the SMDF’s operations compared to the business plan and for
reporting regularly to the Board
• Ensure that staff training needs are met on an on-going basis
• Undertake regular reviews of policies and procedures, as established by the Board
• Set up a Fund structure with the aim of attracting additional finance to the sector
• Prepare financial and activities reports
• Identify project opportunities as well as capacity building and training needs for developing
the Microfinance Sector
• Authorize procurements and payments in line with approved Board of Director authority
• Ensure responsibility for the accuracy of the SMDF accounts
• Undertake any other tasks assigned by, or at the direction of, the Board.
Requirements: Required Skills and Experience
• A relevant advanced university degree (Economics, Business Administration, Finance,
• At least seven years’ experience at a senior level within the microfinance sector
• A proven in-depth knowledge of the Microfinance Sector in Sudan
• An excellent working knowledge of Islamic Microfinance,
• Excellent general management capability as well as leadership skills an relationship building
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills to deal with a wide range of national and international
• Outstanding computing skills, including full fluency in the Microsoft Suite of Programs.
• Fluency in Arabic and English is essential.
Applicants should be Sudanese nationals of the highest professional standard, work ethics and
integrity. Candidatures should be sent by email before 12:00 pm 7th December 2011, attaching CV
and stating salary requirements to email@example.com
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Sudanese Microfinance Development Facility Co. Ltd.
الشركة السودانية لتنمية التمويل الأصغر المحدودة